Just like every other part, a car’s seat belt is also important. It is provided for the safety of passengers in the event of an accident or collision. But sometimes, they can get stuck or jammed due to some reason or the other. The good news is that you can fix the problem all by yourself. All you need to do is figure out what the problem is and you are good to go. In some cases, a stuck seat belt could also mean a serious problem. In such situations, it is better to call for a mechanic.
Ways To Reset A Stuck Seat Belt
In this section, we are going to discuss different scenarios where your seat belt may get stuck. All you have to do is follow the steps described and it should resolve the issue.
1. Fixing as seat belt on auto-lock
Seat belts getting stuck on auto-lock is a common issue. But nothing to worry about as
you can easily fix it.
- Make sure that the seat belt is moving freely and unfastened.
- Pull more of the belt towards you and let it go back into the retractor.
- If it goes back to the right position, your problem is solved. But if it is hanging loosely, you have a more serious problem to deal with.
2. Tangled seat belt
If your seat belt is tangled you need to follow some more important steps to untangle it.
- The first thing you need to do is get access to the whole seat belt. To do so, take off the plastic covers where the belt retracts. You can easily do it with a screwdriver or pliers. If you have the same problem with the seat belt on the back seat, then you will have to check the mechanism in the trunk. Lower the seats and get to the trunk.
- Once you expose the seat belt, pull it all out and use a clamp to stop it from retracting. Go through the entire length of the seat belt to find any tangled areas. If you notice any tiny objects stuck to the fabric, remove them.
- Seat belts can also get stuck due to accumulated dirt. Also, the fabric tends to harden over time. Now that the entire seat belt is out, it’s a good time to clean it. You can clean the seat belt with warm water and detergent. Soak it for 10 to 15 minutes and then dry using a towel.
- Once you are done with all the mentioned steps, it’s time to put the seat belt back from where you pulled it out. But before that make sure that the problem is solved.
- Pull the seat belt again and let it retract to its normal position. If the problem is solved, good for you. If not, then there is a problem with the actual seat belt mechanism. In this case, you may have to take your car to a mechanic.
A car’s seat belt can get jammed because of several reasons. If it is simply tangled, it is easy to fix. But if there is a problem with the seat belt mechanism, you may need professional help. Not everyone is equipped to fix the seat belt mechanism on their own. Since seat belts are important for safety, you should keep them in a good condition. You should keep the seat belt and the retractor clean at all times.
Seat belts getting jammed is a common problem many car owners face. But with the help of this guide, you should be able to fix the issue all by yourself. Or else, you have the mechanic to help you.
How to Get Temporary License Plates?
How To Fix a Leak in The Cooling System?
How to Get Rid of Mold on Car Interiors?
How to Get Rid of Moisture in Car Headlights?
How Much Does It Cost to Replace Brake Pads?
motogurumag.com is an online resource with guides & diagrams for all kinds of vehicles. If you look for a fuse box diagram, timing belt diagram, or maybe wiring diagram – this is a place for you. We also have over 350 guides & DIY articles about cars.